Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Laney's Birth Story Part 1


I have never written Laney's birth story so in honor of her second birthday which will be Friday I am going to try to document it with my blog.

My pregnancy with Laney was much smoother than my first pregnancy at least in terms of how I felt. I seemed to have more energy and did not swell up like the Goodyear blimp. I was due February 9th but by January 15th (36 weeks) I had already gained 31 pounds and looked like I was ready to give birth. I had been experiencing periodic contractions for the last 2 weeks. My Doctor was monitoring me closely and expected I would not make it to my scheduled c-section on February 2nd. I had taken the 15th off for a couple of reasons. 1)It was cold and icy. 2) I was 9 months pregnant and wanted to spend one more quiet day with Logan. We did just that. In fact he even took a good nap that day which allowed me to rest as well. We had an uneventful night until after Logan went to bed. I started having a few strong contractions after 10 p.m. Chad was already asleep so I started timing them. By 2 a.m. they were lasting longer and coming every 3-5 minutes so I called Mom to come stay with Logan so we could go to the hospital. Keep in mind it is one of the coldest nights we have had so far and still a little icy. My mom falls in our driveway and hits her head. Luckily she doesn't break anything. We get to the hospital around 2:30 a.m.
They check me in and start monitoring my contractions. I am definitely in labor so they call my Doctor. My wonderful Doctor had given me a note to give Labor and Delivery so they would call him even if he was not the one on call. He was such a saint. He arrived around 4 a.m. and had them give me something to slow down the labor so he could prepare for the c-section. The moment the nurse put that medicine in my IV I went from alert to semi-crazy. I couldn't get the words to come out right and absolutely could not get out of bed. Mental note: I should never try recreational drugs. I somehow managed to call the office and leave a few incoherant messages with my supervisor that I was in labor and would not be coming in. I was the first c-section for the morning surgery crew. They prepped me and started the spinal. I was terrified the anesthesiologist was going to wait too long to give me the Spinal and I wouldn't be numb. I kept asking them to pinch me so I would know for sure it was working. Chad was in there with me in his scrub suit. I felt tugging and pressure but no pain. The anesthesia made me a little sick at first but she gave me some oxygen and I felt better. I remember listening for a little cry. At 8:33 a.m Laney Grace was born weighing 6lbs. 4 oz. and 18 inches long. Instead of a wailing baby, she sounded more like a baby kitten whimpering. To be Continued...

No comments: